I wrote this poem today....it is still in rough condition but my heart was in the right place. I felt inspired for the first time in months ....well actually, years.
Only For My Daughter
I know absolute, perfect, simple, love.
Not the love wasted on those who never return it.
I have learned. It has taken time.
But in this moment of clarity, I realize I know it well
and will know where to find it when I feel like is has left me,
again.
I have felt the most incredible pain.
Not pain that, when realized, ends in worthless time spent
and eternal scars.
Real pain. Pain that bears new life.
The best parts of me
realized in another. The sacred fragments of love molded into
untouched, new life.
I have been disconnected from what is real
to bear a new reality, so new to me still.
It is fragile, fiercely dependent.
I now live in a realm of mystery
I am sure I will never fully understand.
I am not afraid of it.
It is her. It is she who has shown
through newness, through first breath,
what it means to live.
Miraculous purity. Absolute perfection.
She has made it alright to live,
To wear pajamas until the day has almost passed,
To leave matters slightly disordered,
to sit in simplicity and know
that each moment, even when I am still,
is precious.
There is no wasted time. A task
unfinished will wait.
Her youth, her smallness
will not. It leaves far too
quickly as each short day
comes to an end.
How can I ever say the right words
to express that heaven on earth
has finally come, in the face of my
little girl.
September 7, 2007
1 comment:
Beautiful poem. Brought tears to my eyes.
Post a Comment